LEARNING PATHWAY CREATED BY THE LEARNING COMMUNITY
The Art of Sustainability
Authors: Dr G. Scally, I. Roche, P. Mackenzie
- Identifying opportunities to keep materials in use
- Identifying opportunities to design out waste
- Understand the need for beauty
- Develop entrepreneurial skills
- Be expressive through art
Intended learning outcomes:
The child will be able to:
- Collaborate with others
- Use the NASA best Engineering model as a support
- Be creative with minimal resources
Through attuned interactions and relationships, natural conversations and play episodes, the teacher gathers data to document the children’s learning.
The learning pathway is composed by 3 activities in total over 13 weeks
Stage I – What’s the story?
Day one, the children and teacher, using the Nasa Best Engineering model, develop a story that can be represented as either a live theater performance or a film.
Stage II – Setting the scene
Whether the children and teacher develop a film or a live theatre production, they will need a set and costumes. Using the Nasa best engineering model, they create all entirely out of repurposed and upcycled materials. They buy nothing, the budget is zero.
Stage III – Showtime
Using the Nasa Best Engineering model, the teacher and students invite family and friends to a screening/live performance. Again, the budget is zero.